Exceptional Children, Extraordinary Potential

Special Education

Guidance / Forms

Dare to Dialogue - SD Parent Connection. A resource guide for families with children receiving special education.

Forms and Guides - Office of Public Instruction

Gifted, Talented & Advanced Placement Services - Office of Public Instruction

Montana Parent's Handbook to Special Education - PLUK Legacy Resource, 2005

Sample Forms - Disability Rights Montana

Student Rights Handbook - Disability Rights Montana 

Resolving Disagreements

Guides / Forms

Student Rights Handbook - Disability Rights Montana  (See pages 62-72.)

Sample Forms - Disability Rights Montana

OPI Dispute Resolution Options

Early Assistance Program -  The OPI Early Assistance Program is without cost and can help parents and schools resolve disagreements related to special education. 406-444-5664.

IEP Facilitation - IEP facilitation is a  free and optional dispute resolution process where an impartial facilitator assists the IEP team with communication and problem solving. An IEP Facilitator Request form may be obtained by contacting the OPI Legal Division at 406-444-3172.

Mediation -

State Complaint -

Due Process Complaint -


Parent Support / Advocacy

Parents have the right to invite individuals to IEP meetings who can assist, support or benefit the parent, student or IEP Team in IEP development. For parents, this individual may be a relative, friend, case manager, counselor, provider or advocate.

OPI Student Support Services Division - Staff are available to help answer parent questions regarding special education, 406-444-5661.

Centers for Independent Living (CIL) in Montana may have education advocates that can support and assist families and children/youth with IEP /504 issues. Contact the CIL serving your area to learn about supports available, often without cost.

  • Living Independently for Today and Tomorrow (LIFTT)
    800-669-6319 toll free, 406-245-1225 TTY
    Offices: Billings, Glendive
    Serves Treasure, Garfield, McCone, Rosebud, Big Horn, Prairie, Custer, Powder River, Richland, Dawson, Wibaux, Fallon, Golden Valley, Stillwater, Carbon, Musselshell, Yellowstone, and Carter counties.
  • Montana Independent Living Project (MILP)
  • 800-735-6457 toll free, 406-442-5755 TTY
  • Offices: Helena, Bozeman, Butte
  • Serves Lewis and Clark, Powell, Granite, Deer Lodge, Silver Bow, Beaverhead, Madison, Gallatin, Park, Sweet Grass, Wheatland, Meagher, Broadwater and Jefferson counties
  • North Central Independent Living Services (NCILS)
  • 800-823-6245 toll-free, 406-452-9834 TTY
  • Offices:  Black Eagle, Glasgow
  • Serves Glacier, Toole, Liberty, Hill, Blaine, Phillips, Petroleum, Fergus, Judith Basin, Cascade, Chouteau, Teton, Pondera, Valley, Daniels, Sheridan and Roosevelt counties and Blackfeet, Fort Peck, Rocky Boy and Fort Belknap reservations.
  • Summit Independent Living Center (Summit)
  • 800-398-9002 toll-free, 406-728-1630 TTY
  • Offices: Missoula, Hamilton, Kalispell, Ronan
  • Serves Missoula, Ravalli, Mineral, Lake, Sanders, Flathead and Lincoln counties.



Please contact us with recommended additions or deletions.